The Licher Private Brewery – In the Heart of Nature
The history of the Licher private brewery starts in 1854, when Johann Heinrich Jhring founded a brewery to produce steam style beer in Lich, Germany. Four years later, Christoph Jakob Melchior starts brewing in the neighbouring town of Butzbach. In 1923, the two breweries merged into a single business. This started their joint future together and Licher beers started to develop a reputation amongst beer fans. The first Licher logo was based on the image of a girl from Hesse. This brand logo was replaced in 1995 by a kingfisher, which is still used to this day as a symbol for the pure, fresh and natural taste of Licher. Not confined only to the German region of Hesse, exports of Licher are now enjoyed in more than 40 countries worldwide.
Licher reaches the 40,000 hectolitre threshold in its exports to more than 40 countries worldwide. In particular, demand from markets in Asia has risen sharply in recent years. Licher is also becoming increasingly popular in France and the USA.
The product range increases with the introduction of Licher Weizen (wheat beer), Licher Weizen Alcohol-free, Licher Isotonic Alcohol-free, Licher Original 1854 Kellerbier, and Licher Natural Radler.
150 years of Licher – Celebrated in style with a special edition release and a large road tour. In the same year, Licher becomes part of Bitburger Braugruppe GmbH.
Licher releases Licher Radler, a pre-mixed shandy, to compete on the popular beer-based mixed drink scene. It immediately becomes popular amongst fans of beer and sports activities. This is followed by the introduction of Licher x² Cola in 2001.
The Holsten Brewery joins with the Licher private brewery. However, brand management is consciously kept separate and independent.
First appearance on TV: while the kingfisher logo is used to symbolise the brand values of purity, freshness and naturalness, visual adverts start to use 'Solveig's Song' from Edvard Grieg’s Peer Gynt and the link to the melody becomes well-known. Elsewhere in Germany, Licher premium beer starts to become popular with beer connoisseurs.
Licher becomes market leader in the state of Hesse.
Licher beer starts to be regarded as the best beer brewed in the pilsner style. Annual output exceeds one million hectolitres for the first time.
From this point onwards, the term 'Licher Beer' was used on bottles and kegs.
After the war, the American army develops a taste for Licher beers, and the Licher private brewery becomes an "Army Brewery" to produce beer exclusively for the American occupation troops. The German population in Hesse are finally able to enjoy Licher beer again from 1950, which marks the start of a very successful growth phase.
Beer from Lich crosses the 100,000 hectolitre milestone for the first time.
After the First World War, the two breweries merge in 1923 to form Jhring Melchior KG in 1923. As well as working together from this point forward, the two families had already been joined in marriage since 1919. The businesses start to prosper, and Licher beers gain more and more followers in the Hesse region.
Only 15km away in the neighbouring town of Butzbach, the Gambrinus Brewery is opened by Christoph Jakob Melchior.
The history of the Licher private brewery starts in 1854, when Johann Heinrich Jhring opens a brewery to produce steam style beer for his parents' tavern 'Zum Löwen', located in the town of Lich in Hesse, Germany.